Why throw away perfectly good bananas? When they turn spotty and soft, that means they are ready for a bomb gluten-free double chocolate banana bread.
Because we are stretching out our grocery store visits, I am using what I have – thankfully my pantry is well-stocked and our stash of ripe bananas is abundant. We were fighting with the fruit flies over them, but of course, we won that battle.
Spotted bananas are becoming more of a norm around here, and fresh produce is being frozen more frequently these days. Because if we can’t eat them now, we can eat them later when properly stored. One of our go-to cooking bases lately has been a blended vegetable mix called sofrito, which we store and freeze.
This recipe is plant-based, using ingredients that are affordable and accessible. We’re using ripe bananas, cocoa powder, oat bran flour, and dairy milk. So naturally, this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, perfectly moist, healthy, and vegan.
I mean, just look at it…
Yeah, this gluten-free double chocolate banana bread is pretty darn epic.
More Gluten-Free Recipes
This delicious pantry recipe does not end here – we also have 25 Affordable Recipes From Pantry and Frozen Ingredients.
The trick for a loaf of delicious banana bread is to use overly ripe bananas. The riper, the better. Ripe bananas will bring flavor, natural sweetness, and an incredibly tender texture to your bread. So, use them!
Why Use Chia Seeds?
If you’re looking to make a double chocolate banana bread that’s egg-free, a chia seed and water mixture will help bring your ingredients together.
It’s easier to make than it sounds. All you need are:
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons of water
Mix the two together and allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes. You’ll yield an egg-like texture, but without the eggs! You may even use ground chia seeds for your egg alternative.
How To Make Oat Bran Flour?
Making oat bran flour is the same as how you make regular oat flour.
You just pour the ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until you achieve a flour-like consistency. That’s it!
For this recipe, you will only need 2 cups of oat flour, so that is all you need to have blended up. However, feel free to blend up a much larger batch to reserve for another gluten-free baking recipe.
Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups oat bran flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- In a small bowl, stir together the chia seeds and water. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease with melted butter.
- In a large bowl or blender, thoroughly mash and mix the bananas with non-dairy milk.
- In a separate bowl, add the oat bran flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Mix and combine well.
- Next, add the banana and milk mix, chia seeds, and melted butter. Mix well until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well with the batter.
- Pour the double chocolate banana bread mixture into a loaf pan. Top with chocolate, nuts, or your favorite toppings (optional).
- Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. Allow double chocolate banana bread to cool for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- Make sure the baking powder is blended properly to avoid any bitterness in your banana bread. If you find pieces of clump baking powder, you can break them down with your fingertips, or use a strainer to sift.
- Feel free to make this double chocolate banana bread nut-free by omitting the toppings.
- I topped the banana bread with sliced almonds if you were curious.
- Some white sugar may be refined with bone char. However, there are vegan options for white sugar.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 1 hour to further firm up.
Did you try out this Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe?