It’s day two of using what I have at home because I am too lazy to go to the grocery store. Thank goodness I have a lot of potatoes in my pantry, because there is so much you can do with them.
I’ve never made a flatbread before, so I decided today would be a great day to recipe test. Because I wanted my flatbread to be very healthy and gluten-free, I used oat flour for this recipe. It’s really easy to make and all I do is just throw the oats into my blender and blend for a few seconds until flour-like.
Not sure how to use oat flour other than bread? I’ll drop down a few recipes you can use oat flour with:
I wanted this flatbread to be as plant-based as I can make them. So that means I didn’t add any oil, butter, dairy products, or any processed ingredients.
The result of the flat breads: they were super easy to make. They were pretty plain, but think of them as your normal no-frills bread. You can use them to dip them into hummus, fill them with vegetables, or make a flatbread pizza.
Feel free to add seasonings to your dough if you want more flavors to them. I wanted them basic, so I can add whatever toppings I wanted later.
Also, you may have realized that I didn’t use a flour bread roller. It isn’t for any fancy reason. I simply don’t have one. So I just used my hands. I’d say that it’s probably best when flattened with a roller.
But hey – I use what I got.
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- Take one potato and chop into small pieces.
- Boil in water for about 10 minutes, or until fork tender
- Drain potatoes and set aside. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While potatoes are cooling, blend one cup of oats for a minute, or until flour-like.
- Measure out 1 cup of mashed potatoes.
- Then, in a large bowl, smash potatoes with a fork.
- Add oat flour to the bowl. Mix all together.
- Then knead until you get a doughy texture. Add more flour if too sticky/wet.
- On a dry surface, make a large ball of the dough.
- Cut into four separate pieces.
- For each piece, roll out a ball, then flatten out as much as you can.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, cook the flatbread for 1-2 minutes on each side.