Oatmeal doesn’t have to be complicated or fancy – it’s just oatmeal. One of my favorite ways to have breakfast to eat a bowl of oat bran. It’ll usually include my go-to ingredients: salted peanut butter, honey, and oat bran.
Oat bran is a bit different from rolled oats. With rolled oats, you’re getting the whole grain. With oat bran, you’re just getting the bran of the oat. However, even though it might sound like you might be skipping out on the other important parts of the oat, oat bran is still very healthy.
Oat bran actually has a higher amount of protein and fiber over oatmeal. Other benefits to having oat bran for breakfast is that they cook in just about a minute and it has that cream of wheat texture that so many of us grew up loving.
Depending on my mood, I’ll dress up my morning oat bran bowl in different ways. For instance, I’ll sometimes use it in a pancake batter or just take a regular bowl of the stuff and dress it up with raspberries and other fruits.
Think of oat bran like you would oatmeal. There are plenty of ways to use it and they aren’t so many rules for the food.
This morning’s menu includes a heaping bowl of oat bran with a drizzle of honey, peanut butter, and cinnamon – my favorite way of dressing up an oat bran bowl.
Oat bran tip: if you ever want your oat bran bowl to not be boring, don’t be afraid to add your favorite ingredients to it.
Here are some examples of ways you can bring some spirit to your oat bran bowl:
- Chocolate chips, almond slices, and cinnamon
- Almond butter, berry jam, crushed almonds and blueberries
- Brown sugar, walnuts, and sliced bananas
- Coconut milk, pumpkin, and cinnamon
- Coconut milk, tangerines, and toasted coconut
- Chocolate chips, salted peanut butter, and cinnamon
- Chocolate, almonds, and toasted coconut
- Peanut butter, sliced apples, granola, and cinnamon
Alright, so now that you have a few great ideas, let’s get to how I made my oat bran bowl this morning.
Salted Peanut Butter + Honey Oat Bran Recipe
- 1/3 cup of oat bran
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter
- A drizzle of honey
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup water
- Over medium heat, in a pot, mix one cup of water and 1/3 cup oat bran cereal.
- Cook and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Add more water if too thick. Cook longer if you want it thicker.
- Serve in a bowl and add peanut butter, honey, and a pinch of cinnamon.