Can we just have a nugget recipe without the flour and under 5 ingredients? Why, yes.
Sometimes I just want something crunchy, seemingly fried, and flavorful – without the guilt. This is exactly what this simple tofu nugget recipe is: guilt-free. There’s only a handful of ingredients and this recipe is completely oil-free.
The ingredients in this recipe include extra firm tofu, reduced-sodium soy sauce, nutritional yeast, oat flour, and some seasonings. That’s it, folks. It cooks up in about 30 minutes and there really isn’t a lot of fuss in this recipe. Oh, and it’s gluten-free.
This tofu nugget recipe actually reminded me of some of the stuff that I sometimes buy in the freezer section (when cravings prevail), but this one is much better because you know exactly what’s in your food and you can make some adjustments along the way.
Feel free to play around with the seasonings. For example, if you don’t care for garlic powder, you can go for smoked paprika instead. Make it your own, add a dip, and make extras for second servings – you’re going to need it.
5-Ingredient Tofu Nugget Recipe
- Freeze the tofu for at least 24 hours. Defrost, drain, press, and remove any excess water from the tofu.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Tear and break your block tofu into small, 1-inch chunks. Drop into a large bowl.
- Evenly add the soy sauce to your tofu. Toss tofu.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Toss each tofu piece into. Set aside and allow to sit for 10 minutes to soak flour mixture.
- Next, spread the tofu evenly across a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Use reduced-sodium soy/tamari sauce. You don’t want these tofu nuggets too salty.
- I use oat flour for just about everything. It’s easy to make. The recipe is here.
- Feel free to switch up the seasonings for something else.
- I used extra firm tofu, which will give you the texture you want for nuggets.
- Optional: for more firmness, I pressed the tofu, froze it, let it defrost naturally in the fridge, then pressed out any additional water.
If you need more info on how to press and drain the tofu, check out this helpful article from wikiHow.
Cookware Used In This Recipe
While you’re here, check out our most popular recipes on the website:
Did you try out this 5-Ingredient Tofu Nugget Recipe?