Who says you can’t have savory oats?
Topped with pan-fried smoked paprika tofu, tender sliced avocado, crispy “soy” bacon bits, and creamy vegan butter – this is the kind of breakfast I can get behind.
Savory oats or porridge bring me back to my childhood to when my grandmother used to make me grits – buttery, creamy grits. Although grits are incredibly delicious, oat bran pack a lot more protein, fiber, and important micronutrients.
Fiber plays an important part of my daily diet. In one cup of oat bran, you’ll get about 14 grams of fiber, which is half of the recommended daily intake (25 grams).
With a bowl of oat bran, not only will you be consuming a significant amount of fiber, but you’ll start your day satiated, comfortably full, while potentially lowering your serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Oh, and oat bran is 100% gluten-free. A win for my gluten-free folks!
What Makes Oat Brean Different From Rolled Oats/Oat-Fashioned Oats:
- Cook Time. Oat bran is cooked very quickly, in about 2-3 minutes at most. If you ever needed true instant oatmeal in your life, oat bran is definitely the way to go.
- Texture. The texture of cooked oat bran is finer and creamier. Depending on the brand, the oat bran may resemble grits, or something a bit finer, like a puree.
- Flavor. It has a nutty and rich oat flavor that is enhanced by ingredients including salt or honey.
Savory Oats Topping Ideas
- Nuts and Seeds
- Vegan Egg
Pantry Ingredients For Savory Oats
- Garlic Salt
- Garlic powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garam Masala
- Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew Butter
- Hot sauce
- Soy sauce
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Smoked Paprika
Now that you have a few ideas to top off your vegan savory oatmeal, let’s get to how I created this particular bowl of flavor and fiber.
Vegan Savory Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1.5 cups water or vegan milk
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 3 ounces super-firm tofu thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- Soy bacon bits (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Mix together the reduced-sodium soy sauce, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Pour half the mixture over the sliced tofu, flip and pour the rest of the mixture to the other side of the tofu sliced. Allow the tofu to soak the marinade for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 teaspoon of canola or vegetable oil to a small, non-stick pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu slices. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Set aside.
- Pour water into a saucepan or pot and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, slowly pour the oats and reduce heat to low. Add nutritional yeast and butter to the oats and stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Once it has thickened up, pour into a bowl.
- Top the savory oat bran bowl with the cooked tofu, sliced avocado, and soy bacon bits (optional) for an added crunch.
- For more creaminess, add more water or milk. If you prefer your oats with a thicker texture, add less liquid.
- We’re using super-firm tofu which does not need to be pressed. Simple drain excess water and pat dry.
- Add more or less salt, depending on how you like your oats.
Cookware Used In Recipe
Check out some of our most popular oat recipes:
Did you try out this Vegan Savory Oatmeal?