Spring Vegetable Soup With Asparagus
Zesty spring vegetable soup made with asparagus, peas, carrots, and juicy mushrooms. This recipe is vegan and done in just 15 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 whole carrots sliced
- 1 cup green onion/scallions chopped, with the lower stem/white part of the onion
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup asparagus trimmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- Parsley chopped, to garnish
- Lemon wedge for serving
In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes without stirring. After, flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium and remove mushrooms from the dutch oven. Set aside.
In the same dutch oven, add one tablespoon of oil, then add the carrots and onion. Cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Then, add the broth, water, peas, asparagus, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for about 5 minutes until asparagus is tender. Add the spinach and mushrooms to the dutch oven. Cook until spinach has wilted.
Serve and garnish with chopped parsley and a wedge of lemon (optional).
- For the broth, I used Edward & Sons’ Not-Chick’n bouillon cubes. Two of their cubes make 4 cups of broth. However, feel free to use any kind of broth you prefer, or even homemade. You may just need to adjust the salt to your liking.
- Green onions and scallions are the same - they just go by many names. Be sure to use their lighter/white stalks for this recipe and remove their bulbs. Their bulbs are the very bottom piece with roots.
- I used crimini mushrooms because I enjoy their firmer texture. But any kind of mushroom will work in this recipe.