Black Bean Tofu Burger Recipe
Protein-packed, healthy plant-based burgers made with tofu, black beans, and mushrooms. A kid-friendly burger that's great for a weekday dinner meal. Gluten-free, vegan, and healthy.
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup firm tofu pressed, drained
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked black beans drained, rinsed
- 2/3 cup baby bella or common mushrooms rinsed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (33 grams)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands and mix in soy sauce.
Arrange and spread the tofu, black beans, and common mushrooms on the baking sheet in a single layer. Cook the tofu, beans, and mushrooms in the oven for 15 minutes.
Transfer black beans to a bowl and smash with a fork. Add the tofu, mushrooms, tomato paste, garlic powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix until well combined with a spatula.
Add chia "egg" and oat flour to the burger mix and combine well. It will be a bit sticky, but dry enough to handle without sticking to your hands. If too wet, add more oat flour.
Divide the burger mix into 4 equal portions, then form into burger patties. Place the burger patties onto a plate and cover. Allow to firm up in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Cook burger patties over medium heat in a lightly oiled non-stick pan or skillet for 5 minutes on each side, carefully flipping.
- To make oat flour, simply take old fashioned oats and blend them in a blender until flour-like.