Homemade Puerto Rican Sofrito Recipe
Homemade Puerto Rican sofrito recipe to use in a variety of Puerto Rican dishes including soups, stews, rice, and beans.
- 1 yellow or red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 garlic head
- 1 bunch cilantro (2 ounces/~56 grams)
First, rinse the cilantro and roughly chop it into four parts.
Next, cut the onion into 4 chunks.
Roughly chop the peppers into quarters and remove the seeds.
Peel and crush the garlic.
Next, add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and cilantro into a food processor or blender.
Finally, blend everything together until you have a chunk sofrito sauce.
- If you’re using a high-powered blender like a Nutribullet, blend in short pulses until chunky.
- You can use regular yellow onion or red onion. It doesn’t matter. We’re using mild onions for this recipe. I've used both for a sofrito recipe.
- The bunch of cilantro was about 2 ounces.
- Blend the sofrito in parts. I did about 5-6 batches due to the size of my blender.
- Some sofrito recipes call for olive oil or salt. I don’t add those because I like to control those particular ingredients during the actual cook.