Stewed Mushrooms And Onion
Flavor-packed, stewed mushrooms and onion recipe made with tomato sauce Puerto Rican flavors. A delicious dinner dish using only 7 ingredients and 30 minutes. It's plant-based, gluten-free, using easy-to-find, affordable ingredients. Serve it up with white rice!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced into rings
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sazon
Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms.
Stir occasionally and cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden and tender.
Add sofrito to the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add onions, tomato sauce, water, black pepper, and sazon. Stir to combine.
Once at a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover pan with a lid.
Cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Increase temperature to medium and remove lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Turn off heat and serve with a side of white rice.
- Feel free to add more or less sazon, according to what you like.
- I used shiitake mushrooms. If you use common mushrooms, they will shrink significantly. If you decide to use them, I recommend doubling the mushroom amount.
- Sazon can be found online at Amazon.com, or at most big-box grocery stores including Walmart and Safeway.
- Sofrito can be storebought, but its best fresh and homemade