Thank you for stopping by Plant Based And Broke! My name is Aly Michell and the writer, recipe creator, and photographer behind Plant Based And Broke.
This blog focuses on recipes considering time, cost, and accessibility.
Getting started on a plant-based diet? Check out our Guide To A Cheap Plant-Based Diet.
Meet Aly Michell
Hi there! My name is Aly Michell and I am the everything behind Plant Based And Broke. I am the writer, voice, creator, and recipe developer.
I am originally from Miami, Florida – the city of Caribbean, Latin, and Spanish flavors. Additionally, I grew up in a home influenced by Puerto Rican food.
I have always loved food and how it would give me a sense of comfort and familiarity. When I moved away for college, I was homesick – mostly missing the flavors that were spiced by my abuela’s loving hands.
That was when I started to learn how to cook. However, I was faced with a lot of challenges that would spark creativity in the kitchen. For example, relying on food pantries, stews, and experimenting with odd ingredients because money was tight.
Things got harder. After I graduated from college, I moved into an area that lacked an abundance of food markets and reliable transportation. It was technically a food desert.
Although I was not eating a plant-based diet at the time, this hardship humbled me and pushed me to be even more resourceful.
How it All Started
Over the past decade, I have shifted my eating habits – reducing animal products, processed food, and exploring different plant-based ingredients.
Over the years I eliminated or reduced this-or-that while introducing more plant foods. I have been more intentional about eating a mostly plant-based diet for about 3 years now.
Plant Based And Broke was born because I wanted to create something that I couldn’t find: a food blog that was more than just recipes, but about food education, inclusion, and the consideration of time, money, and equipment to create every day dishes.
About Aly Outside of the Kitchen
- I am a little bit of an introvert. But when I meet the right people, I can be a chatterbox!
- I have a twin sister. So, if you see someone who looks like me, it might not be me!
- Plant Based and Broke began at the beginning of 2019. Before that, I was lightly working on another food blog that I decided to scrap. Easier to start new and fresh.
- Yes, I am a certified empath. Well, maybe not certified, but I might as well be! It's both a blessing and a curse.
- Currently reside in a small city in California with my husband. Looking forward to many more years together, along with building new memories.
- My favorite food includes seaweed snacks, vegan "butter chicken," and chili.
- I enjoy being home and participating in local events.
What You'll Find on Plant Based And Broke:
- Affordable Recipes: Discover a plethora of wallet-friendly recipes on Plant Based And Broke, where each dish is thoughtfully crafted to provide budget-friendly alternatives without compromising on taste or nutrition.
- Dishes Made with Flavor: Elevate your plant-based eating experience as Plant Based And Broke introduces you to a world of mouthwatering dishes made with bold and delicious flavors, proving that plant-based meals can be both satisfying and delicious.
- Using Everyday Ingredients: We create recipes that prioritize accessibility, utilizing everyday ingredients found in your pantry or local grocery store. Plant Based And Broke makes plant-based cooking a breeze, ensuring that wholesome and flavorful meals are within easy reach for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Everywhere! Most of my Puerto Rican recipes are influenced by the dishes I grew up eating. Some of my favorites include arroz con gandules, pastelon, Puerto Rican spaghetti, and tofu guisado. Additionally, I am inspired by other blogs, recipe videos on social media, restaurants, friends, and family.
No, we’re for everyone! Whether you’re fully dedicated to a plant-based diet, or you’re a meat-lover looking to introduce more plant-based dishes to your kitchen table.
Veganism is a lifestyle and philosophy that seeks to avoid the use of animal products in all of their forms (food, clothing, products). I consider myself plant-based, as I have made significant changes to only my diet.
I find that Walmart has great deals, along with grocery outlets. If you have access to ethnic (Asian & Latin American) grocery stores - they are also a great place for affordable produce. My tip: if you have the time and the accessibility, do a quick comparison between grocery stores to take note of prices. Our main grocery store is Grocery Outlet and we occasionally visit nearby stores to pick up forgotten or last-minute items.
I am a huge breakfast person! That’s when I get to enjoy some of my favorite meals. When I want to start my morning with a burst of fiber and flavors, I go for breakfast lentils! If I need something to keep me satisfied until lunch time, I opt for a bowl of savory oats. For dinner, I can always appreciate a bowl of vegan tofu “butter chicken” with rice, naan, or homemade roti.
I am always open to brands that’s a good fit for Plant Based And Broke. I am currently only committed to blog-only sponsored posts and campaigns.
My inbox is always open, so feel free to email me at [email protected].
How to Contact Us
Let’s connect or work together! Want to collaborate, explore business opportunities, or chat about a recipe? Don’t hesitate to email me at [email protected]. My media kit is available upon request.
Plant Based And Broke LLC
P.O. Box: #944, Lathrop, CA 95330
I may also be reached at [email protected]
How to Sign Up for the Email List
THE FEED FEED - Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
THE FEED FEED - Hot Cocoa, Egg Nog And Buttered Rum!
How To Contact Me
Want to get in touch? Email [email protected]