Crank up those ovens – we’re waking up the family with freshly baked, healthy banana nut bread.
During these trying times, we have been a little more creative with the challenge of using limited ingredients. Today I looked around my pantry and we had lots of flour and ripe bananas that had to be used up.
We weren’t going to let those pesky fruit flies enjoy our bananas before we do!
What I love most about this recipe is that we’re using affordable and accessible pantry ingredients including flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, chia seeds, and canned coconut milk. Because we are using a creamy, high-fat non-dairy milk, we can opt-out of oil for this recipe.
Yes, you heard correctly, this recipe is oil-free.
Additionally, you only need 2 bananas for this recipe – that’s it!
How To Store Healthy Banana Nut Bread
This bread may be left out at room temperature for a day.
To store this bread in a refrigerator, cover in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It may also be stored in an airtight container.
To keep the bread from drying out, cover and wrap tightly. Properly stored banana bread will keep in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
How To Make Chia Egg
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons of water
Mix the two together and allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes. You’ll yield an egg-like texture, but without the eggs!
1 tablespoon of chia seeds yields an equivalent of one egg.
What To Add To Banana Nut Bread:
- Chocolate Chips
- Sliced Almonds
- Crushed Walnuts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Dried Fruit (cranberries, raisins, blueberries)
- Shredded, Dried Coconut
- Cocoa Powder
- Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, pumpkin pie spice)
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Want a gluten-free banana bread recipe? Check this one out:
Healthy Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup canned coconut milk full fat
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 chia egg see notes
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2-3 bananas
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease or line with parchment paper an 8-inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, chia seed egg, and mashed bananas.
- Gradually pour and stir flour mix with the wet ingredients. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour banana bread mix into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, transfer to a metal rack to cool for another 30 minutes.
- The trick to creating a delicious healthy banana nut bread is by using ripe bananas. They are sweeter, softer, and yields a very rich banana flavor.
- If you decide to use an alternative non-dairy milk with low fat, introduce butter or oil to the batter.
- I love walnuts in a banana nut bread recipe since it brings a nice texture to the loaf. However, you’re welcome to omit and make it nut-free.
- If you love cinnamon as much as I do, feel free to add a little more.
- Chia Egg: mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 3 tablespoons of cold water. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
Did you try out this Healthy Banana Nut Bread Recipe?