Zucchini soup is the perfect kind of soup for the warmer weather with its light and refreshing ingredients. It’s comforting, without being too heavy or overwhelming.
If you’re the kind of person who loves a warm bowl of soup all year long – this one’s perfect for the summer.
Zucchini’s peak season is June through August, so make a healthy zucchini soup a priority during those warmer months.
Why You’ll Love This
- You’ll only need 11 simple ingredients! All of which are easy to find and affordable to purchase.
- The flavors are out-of-this-world GOOD! The parsley and freshly squeezed lemon juice create the perfect refreshing and vibrant zucchini soup.
- It’s a super easy recipe that’s done in just 20 minutes. Serve with croutons or bread – and you have a complete weekday dinner meal!
- Under 100 calories per serving!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Olive Oil – If you don’t have olive oil handy, other types of oil work fine (canola, vegetable). Two tablespoons worth was used, but feel free to hold back to one tablespoon.
- Onion – Any onion type will work. We used red onions for this recipe, however, white or yellow are great too.
- Salt – Salt is used throughout the recipe to enhance the flavors of the soup.
- Garlic – Are you a garlic lover? Don’t hold back! Go for a whole garlic bulb if you wish. Alternatively, if you’re not into garlic, use 1 clove or none.
- Zucchini – We used large green zucchini.
- Potato – A peeled red potato was used in this recipe to help make it creamy without the need for dairy or cream-based products.
- Dried Parsley – Bring on the flavor with herbs! Parsley is one of my favorite herbs to use in soup. You may also opt for other herbs like thyme, oregano, rosemary, and Italian seasoning. Fresh or dried may be used.
- Bouillon Cubes – Use any kind of bouillon cube you prefer. We used Edward & Sons Garden Veggie Bouillon Cubes.
- Black pepper
- Lemon Juice – To brighten up this soup, we’re using fresh lemon juice. Don’t skip out on this ingredient!
All of these ingredients together will make the best zucchini soup!
What To Eat With Zucchini Soup
This zucchini soup is relatively light and has few calories. To turn this soup into a meal, serve it with toasted bread, a summer salad, or a sandwich.
What is Zucchini Soup Make Of
Plant Based And Broke’s zucchini soup is made with zucchini, potatoes, onion, garlic, herbs, fresh lemon juice, bouillon cubes, and olive oil.
Should Zucchini Be Peeled For Soup
No need to peel the zucchini for a creamy zucchini soup. Leave the peels on – they add flavor, fiber, and color.
How To Cut Zucchini For Soup
- First, remove the stem end from the zucchini.
- Then, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Lay the halves flat and cut into half-moon/half-circle pieces.
How Long To Boil Zucchini In Soup
Zucchini does not need much time in boiling/simmering water to get tender. Just cook for about 10 minutes and pierce with a fork to check if it is soft.
How To Store
To reheat from frozen: thaw completely then reheat under low heat until warm all the way through.
- Any kind of bouillon cube or broth may be used. If opting to use broth, you may need to cut it with water, so that it’s not too salty.
- To go oil-free, simply skip out on the oil and saute the onion and garlic in a bit of water.
Tried out this Healthy Zucchini Soup with Potatoes and Parsley recipe?
Healthy Zucchini Soup with Potatoes and Parsley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, warm oil over medium heat. Once warm, add onion and season with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant
- Add the zucchini, potato, parsley, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bouillon cubes, black pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer everything for about 10-15 minutes, or until zucchini and potatoes are tender.
- Simmer the soup for another couple of minutes without a lid, until thick to your liking. Or, serve rightaway.