Oatmeal is cool and all, but sometimes I want to switch it up for breakfast. And let’s be honest, I ran out of oat bran and for the life of me I cannot find it at my usual local grocery store, so I settled for breakfast red split lentils instead.
The great thing about red split lentils is that they cook up at about half the time than your regular ol’ green lentils. For this breakfast red split lentil bowl, I decided to go for the savory-sweet-and-spicy route.
With the combination of ground cinnamon, brown sugar, and coconut oil, it felt like I was eating dessert for breakfast! I think this would also make for a great breakfast addition for when the temperatures begin to drop and the holidays settle in.
Ready for your breakfast to be awesome? Let’s get to the breakfast red split lentils recipe!
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Breakfast Red Split Lentils Recipe
- We’re using red split lentils for this recipe.
- If you don’t want to add sugar to this recipe, you can use another sweet alternative like maple syrup.
- Cinnamon adds a robust flavor to this breakfast bowl – don’t skip it.
- Omit the coconut oil if need be. It just won’t be as wonderful, in my opinion.
- If you want it creamier, just add more water/splash of plant-based milk.
- Makes about 4 servings.
- Cook lentils longer if you like them much softer. And add more water.
- Add red split lentils and water to a pot.
- Also add the cinnamon, coconut oil, and brown sugar. Stir well.
- Cover pot with a lid.
- Bring to a boil then lower temperature to simmer.
- Cook for about 12 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the water has been mostly absorbed.
- If water has been mostly absorbed and you want it creamier add a splash of vegan milk or water.