If you have ever eaten Puerto Rican cuisine, chances are, you’ve had Puerto Rican sofrito without even knowing it.
Sofrito is a blend of vegetables that are added to a dish during the cooking process.
Anyway, Puerto Rican-style sofrito doesn’t require any cooking at all. All you need to do is to chop them into large chunks, throw them into a blender, and blend until chunky (not a puree). You’ll typically use about 1-2 tablespoons in a dish.
Because I am not in close proximity to Latin grocery stores, I used what I could find, making some adjustments to the recipe. Your sofrito will still be wonderful and delicious, even without ingredients like aji dulce.
Always remember: every recipe, no matter how traditional, will have its variations – even within the same city. So, if you see a plethora of recipes with a slightly different ingredient list, that’s why.
Sofrito hack: I pour and store the sofrito into an ice tray so I can just pop a couple out when ready to use.
Homemade Puerto Rican Sofrito Recipe
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 garlic head
- 1 bunch cilantro (2 ounces/~56 grams)
- First, rinse the cilantro and roughly chop it into four parts.
- Next, cut the onion into 4 chunks.
- Roughly chop the peppers into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Next, add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and cilantro into a food processor or blender.
- Finally, blend everything together until chunky.
- If you’re using a high-powered blender like a Nutribullet, blend in short pulses until chunky.
- You can use regular yellow onion or sweet yellow onion. It doesn’t matter. We’re using mild onions for this recipe.
- The bunch of cilantro was about 2 ounces.
- Blend the sofrito parts. I did about 5-6 batches due to the size of my blender.
- Some recipes call for olive oil or salt. I don’t add those because I like to control those particular ingredients during the actual cook.
While you’re here, check out our most popular recipes on the website:
Did you try out this Homemade Puerto Rican Sofrito Recipe?