Have 2 minutes to spare? Well, it looks like you have enough time to get breakfast whipped together a bowl of savory, cream oat bran!
If you’ve never heard of oat bran, you’re in for a real treat. Oat bran is quick to cook up, packed with plant-based fiber, and is the perfect bowl of breakfast for when you want something hearty, yet low in calories – about 150 calories in 40 grams.
If you want to up your breakfast fiber, check out this fiber-rich, vegan chocolate muffin recipe.
Oat bran, like oatmeal, is mild in flavor. What’s different about oat bran is that it has a smoother texture, similar to farina or cream of rice.
Oats can be cooked savory or sweet, it’s up to you and your tastebuds. I love a savory breakfast to get my day started. When I want breakfast hearty, I throw in mushroom bacon and a quick tofu scramble.
Oat bran takes about 1-2 minutes to cook, yielding a large bowl of creamy oats that will keep you satisfied all morning.
More Oat Bran Bowls
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Savory, Creamy Oat Bran
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1 cup water
- dollop of vegan butter
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of non-dairy milk
- Pour water and oats into a small pot over medium-high heat. Stir together.
- As it begins to simmer, lower the heat.
- Stir frequently for about 1-2 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour the savory oat bran into a bowl.
- Finally, add a splash of non-dairy milk, a pinch of salt, and a dollop of vegan butter.
- My secret to savory oat bran is that a little bit goes a long way. A bit of butter and salt really brings forth the flavor.
- This cooks up FAST. So, stick around the kitchen and watch it.
- Tweak the milk/water depending on if you typically like your oats more creamy or dense.
- Less liquid: denser.
- More liquid: creamier.
More Plant-Based Oat Bran Recipes
Did you try out this Easy Savory, Creamy Oat Bran Recipe?