Fast food breakfast coming right up! Savory Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran made with 6 ingredients and done in just 2 minutes.
It’s a creamy, umami-packed, satisfying meal to pair with your morning coffee.
Or lunch, snack, or dinner – whichever you choose.
What Is Oat bran?
Oat bran is the oat groat. Just like old-fashioned oats or steel-cut oats, oat bran is gluten-free and a healthy grain that packs satiating fiber and protein. Oat bran’s texture is soft and creamy, similar to milled wheat.
How To Make Soy Sauce & Green Onions Oat Bran
- First, you’ll need to place a small pot over medium-high heat. Then, pour into the pot the oat bran and water/non-dairy milk. Stir frequently. Once it’s at a boil, lower the temperature and allow everything to simmer until thick and creamy.
- Remove oats from saucepan and transfer into a bowl.
- Top with green onions/scallions, vegan butter, soy sauce, and re chili flakes.
- Any brand of oat bran will work. Some might be creamier or lighter than others, depending on how finely they are cut during its processing. If this is a detail you care about, I find that Quaker oat bran is slightly creamier than Bob’s Red Mill. Take this note as you will. I use both – depending on price, availability, and my mood.
- Green onions and scallions are the same things. They just go by different names – depending on who you ask. Green onions are a popular vegetable and can typically found at most grocery stores. However, they are almost always available in East Asian markets.
- I highly recommend not leaving the kitchen area when cooking these oats. They cook ridiculously fast and can burn if left unattended for too long.
Why Choose A Savory Oat Bran Bowl?
Think of oat bran as a mild canvas similar to rice, quinoa, or barley. Oat bran can be dressed up sweet or savory – depending on your mood. And my mood is almost always savory.
With savory, it can be served any time of the day with any kind of toppings including kale, tofu, stir-fries, potatoes, nuts, and nutritional yeast.
Savory means more options and a different take on traditional porridge-like cream of rice or grits.
If you to switch things up again for breakfast, try out our breakfast lentils with cinnamon and brown sugar!
More Savory Oat Bran Recipes:
Did you try out this Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it, or tag a picture @plantbasedandbroke on Instagram and hashtag it #plantbasedandbroke. Show off that creation with us.
Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cups oat bran
- Salt to taste
- Green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or to taste
- Vegan butter
- Red chili flakes optional
Leave a Reply