Fast food breakfast coming right up! Savory Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran made with 6 ingredients and done in just 2 minutes. It’s a creamy, umami-packed, satisfying meal to pair with your morning coffee.
What Is Oat bran?
Oat bran is the oat groat. Just like old fashioned oats or steel-cut oats, oat bran is gluten-free and a healthy grain that packs satiating fiber and protein. Oat bran’s texture is soft and creamy, similar to milled wheat.
How To Make Savory Oat Bran
The two main ingredients in this recipe include low-sodium soy sauce and green onions. The two of them combine to make a delicious flavor-packed oat bowl that can be eaten for either breakfast or dinner.
A note on the dairy-free butter: I purchase Melt Organic. It’s my favorite and go-to vegan butter that I find is affordable and just as soft and creamy as real butter. Other plant-based butter can leave an odd aftertaste – at least for me if it’s soy-based. But this one doesn’t
Just good ole’ fashion, delicious plant-based butter.
Feel free to use any butter you enjoy. If you cannot find or purchase plant-based butter, margarine can be used instead. If you’re searching for vegan margarine, just be sure to check the ingredients or look for the vegan label.
For the non-dairy milk, it’s not a deal-breaker if you don’t have any. I’ve used water and my savory oats still come out delicious.
How To Make Soy Sauce & Green Onions Oat Bran
First, you’ll need to place a small pot over medium-high heat. Then, pour into the pot the oat bran and water/non-dairy milk. Stir well. Once it’s at a boil, lower the temperature and allow everything to simmer until thick and creamy.
Be sure to stir frequently to avoid oats from burning, clumping together, or sticking to the bottom.
It only takes a couple of minutes for oat bran to cook, so it’s important to keep an eye on them.
If you’re new to the wonderful world of oat bran, it can be used in several different ways. It can be cooked sweet or savory just like old fashioned oats, or it can be used in muffins, as a topping for yogurt, added to a smoothie.
More Oat Bran Recipes:
- “Carrot Cake” Oat Bran Bowl
- Spinach & Tofu Oat Bran Bowl
- Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter Oat Bran Bowl
- Any brand of oat bran will work. Some might be creamier or lighter than others, depending on how finely they are cut during its processing. If this is a detail you care about, I find that Quaker oat bran is slightly creamier than Bob’s Red Mill. Take this note as you will. I use both – depending on price, availability, and my mood.
- Green onions and scallions are the same things. They just go by different names – depending on who you ask. Green onions are a popular vegetable and can typically found at most grocery stores. However, they are almost always available in East Asian markets.
- I highly recommend not leaving the kitchen area when cooking these oats. They cook ridiculously fast and can burn if left unattended for more than a couple of minutes.
Why Choose A Savory Oat Bran Bowl?
Think of oat bran as a mild canvas similar to rice, quinoa, or barley. Oat bran can be dressed up sweet or savory – depending on your mood. And my mood almost always savory.
Savory means more options and a different take on traditional porridge.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes:
Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cups oat bran
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or to taste
Did you try out this Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran recipe?