Fast food breakfast coming right up! Savory Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran made with 6 ingredients and done in just 2 minutes.
It's a creamy, umami-packed, satisfying meal to pair with your morning coffee.
What Is Oat bran?
Oat bran is the oat groat. Just like old-fashioned oats or steel-cut oats, oat bran is gluten-free and a healthy grain that packs satiating fiber and protein. Oat bran’s texture is soft and creamy, similar to milled wheat.
How To Make Soy Sauce & Green Onions Oat Bran
- First, you’ll need to place a small pot over medium-high heat. Then, pour into the pot the oat bran and water/non-dairy milk. Stir frequently. Once it’s at a boil, lower the temperature and allow everything to simmer until thick and creamy.
- Remove oats from saucepan and transfer into a bowl.
- Top with green onions/scallions, vegan butter, soy sauce, and re chili flakes.
- Any brand of oat bran will work. Some might be creamier or lighter than others, depending on how finely they are cut during its processing. If this is a detail you care about, I find that Quaker oat bran is slightly creamier than Bob’s Red Mill. Take this note as you will. I use both - depending on price, availability, and my mood.
- Green onions and scallions are the same things. They just go by different names - depending on who you ask. Green onions are a popular vegetable and can typically found at most grocery stores. However, they are almost always available in East Asian markets.
- I highly recommend not leaving the kitchen area when cooking these oats. They cook ridiculously fast and can burn if left unattended for too long.
Why Choose A Savory Oat Bran Bowl?
Think of oat bran as a mild canvas similar to rice, quinoa, or barley. Oat bran can be dressed up sweet or savory - depending on your mood. And my mood is almost always savory.
Savory means more options and a different take on traditional porridge-like cream of rice or grits.
If you to switch things up again for breakfast, try out our breakfast lentils with cinnamon and brown sugar!
More Savory Oat Bran Recipes:
Did you try out this Soy Sauce and Green Onions Oat Bran recipe?