One of the first snacks learned to make in college by scratch was baked potato chips.
Fast-forward _ (ahem) years later, I am not only obsessed with cooking, but I love the challenge of whipping something together that’s affordable with a plant-based focus.
They are a great snack that goes perfectly with a light cucumber sandwich or to have alone.
Homemade potato chips are versatile. Once you have the cooking basics locked down, you can flavor them however you like.
Here are potato chip spice/flavor ideas:
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- BBQ dry rub
- Nutritioal yeast
- Salt & vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Curry powder
Pick and choose whatever combination you enjoy. For this recipe, we’re using smoked paprika and salt.
Why You’ll Love This
- It's the perfect, healthy plant-based snack where you control all of the ingredients and outcomes!
- It's 100% plant-based.
How To Make Homemade Potato Chips
- Slice potato into thin, uniform chips.
- Soak in cold water to remove excess starch.
- Mix chips with the rest of the ingredients and seasonings.
- Bake until golden and crispy.
Craving salty snacks? Check out our 21 Plant-Based Salty Snacks post!
Tried out this Homemade Potato Chips recipe?
Homemade Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sliced the potato into thin, uniform chips. Rinse and soak potatoes under very cold/icy water for 10 minutes. Next, pat-dry the potato chips as much as possible with a clean kitchen towel or papertowels.
- Transfer the chips into a mixing bowl. Add the oil, smoked paprika, and salt. Mix well.
- Spread the potato chips onto the baking sheet on a single layer with space in-between each chip
- Bake until golden, about 15-30 minutes. Different potato chips will cook at different rates due to their variations of thickness. Pull them out when they are done
- Allow your homemade potato chips to cool and further firm up, preferably on a cooling rack
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible to achieve crispiness. If sliced too thick, they'll be tender on the inside.
- No need to peel the potato. Unless you want to.
- Allow the potato chip slices to cool for about 30 minutes on a cooling rack after baking to allow them to firm and crisp up.
Did you try out this Homemade Potato Chips recipe?
Get started with your plant-based journey for the low-low and check out our Going Plant-Based For Cheap guide.