Three ingredients, one stove, and a love for potato chips – that’s all you need to make healthy, plant-based homemade potato chips.
One of the first snacks learned to make in college by scratch was baked potato chips. Looking back, I am sure there were a few things I could have done to make baked homemade potato chips optimally delicious, but we all live and learn.
Fast-forward _ (ahem) years later, I am not only obsessed with cooking, but I love the challenge of whipping something together that’s affordable with a plant-based focus.
Homemade potato chips are versatile. Once you have the cooking basics locked down, you can flavor them however you like. Here are a few ideas:
Homemade Potato Chip Seasoning Ideas:
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Garam Masala
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Vinegar
- Curry Powder
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Adobo Seasoning
- BBQ Dry Rub
- Nutritional Yeast
- Italian Seasonings
Pick and choose whatever combination you enjoy. For this recipe, we’re using smoked paprika and salt.
How To Make Homemade Potato Chips Crispy
There are five cooking steps we must take to ensure our homemade crispy potato chips are perfectly crispy.
1. Use Parchment Paper
Parchment paper is treated with a coating to make it non-stick. Additionally, it can resist moisture, creating a crispy outcome for all of your baked/roasted recipes.
2. Cut Potato Chips Thin
The thinner the potato chip, the crispier they will be. Thicker potato chips will have a softer inside. If that’s what you want – go for it. Otherwise, cut them as thin as possible. You can carefully use a knife or a mandoline slicer.
3. Soak Potato Chips Before Cooking
Soak the potato chips in very cold, or ice water for about 10 minutes. This step helps to remove some of the starch.
4. Pat Dry Excess Moisture
When you’ve finished rinsing your potato chips, pat dry as much as possible. Do not leave a droplet of water behind! Use paper towels or a clean reusable towel to wick away the moisture.
5. Cool The Potato Chips Off
Once your homemade baked potato chips are done cooking, remove them from the baking dish and allow them to cool and further firm up – preferably on a cooling rack to allow each chip to air out and release any extra moisture.
Homemade Potato Chips
- 1 russet potato
- 1 tablespoon vegetable/canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees
- Sliced the potato into thin chips – as thinly as possible. If you can use a mandoline slicer, even better
- Rinse and soak potatoes under very cold/icy water for 10 minutes. Next, pat dry the potato chips as much as possible
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oil, smoked paprika, and salt. Mix well
- Add the potato chips into the bowl and evenly toss with the seasonings and oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the potato chips onto the baking sheet on a single layer with space in-between each chip
- Bake until golden, about 15-30 minutes. Different chips will cook at different rates due to their variations of thickness. Pull them out when they are done
- Allow your homemade potato chips to cool and further firm up, preferably on a cooling rack
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible to achieve crispniess. If sliced to thick, they’ll be tender on the inside.
- No need to peel the potato. Unless you want to.
- Allow the slices to cook for about 30 minutes after baking to allow them to firm and crisp up.
Check Out These Other Potato Recipes:
Did you try out this Homemade Potato Chips recipe?