Let’s bring out the bowls and go for a savory dish for breakfast!
If you’re new to oat bran, it is the outer layer of the oat groat, which sits just beneath the inedible hull. It’s naturally packed with plant-based fiber and protein.
Oat bran is one of my favorite ways to include fiber in my diet. Sometimes, when I am in the mood for something sweet, I’ll go for a hefty stack of Oat Bran Pancakes with Chocolate Syrup.
It’s definitely worth a try! It’s a lot creamier than old-fashioned oats and has a smoother texture, a bit similar to grits.
Although I eat savory oats for breakfast, they are also great for a quick, cozy dinner.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Mushroom oat bran takes minutes to make, so if you're in a time crunch, this is the perfect meal to whip up.
- Oat bran is very cheap to buy, especially in bulk. It’s also a fiber-rich meal, so it’ll keep you satiated.
- It’s super versatile - feel free to throw in additional toppings like sesame seeds, green onions, or garlic.
What To Eat With Mushroom Oat Bran
- Because oat bran cooks in just minutes (up to 3 minutes, usually), I recommend sticking around the kitchen while it cooks. Besides, you’ll need to be there to frequently stir the oat bran.
- Although I used baby Bella mushrooms in this recipe, feel free to use any kind of mushroom variety you enjoy. If you want to take this bowl up a notch, make a batch of mushroom bacon.
- I used Lee Kum Kee Mushroom Bouillon Powder to make my mushroom stock.
Tried out this Mushroom Oat Bran recipe?
Mushroom Oat Bran
- Add cooking spray or a bit of oil to a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms until golden on both sides. Add black pepper. Set aside.
- Combine oat bran and mushroom broth in a small pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer and stir for 1-3 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour oat bran into bowls and top with sliced mushroom and a splash of soy sauce.
- To go gluten-free, switch out the soy sauce for tamari sauce or coconut aminos.
- This cooks up FAST. So, stick around the kitchen and watch it. It will take at most 3 minutes to cook.
- I love using mushroom stock in this recipe, but it can be substituted for vegetable broth.
- Feel free to use any kind of mushrooms you prefer. For this recipe, I used Baby Bella mushrooms. I used about 6 mushrooms. But you can use as many as you prefer.