A few years ago, I had no idea what tempeh was, but I am sure I wasn’t alone.
Although tempeh is not a new thing, it’s not exactly widely-known, either. But once you get the chance to experience it, you’ll fall in love. It’s an amazingly versatile, protein-packed vegetarian option that can be used for a plethora of vegan dishes.
Fast-forward to today, I have learned to love tempeh. The flavor is mild, but it is a vessel for marinades, flavor, and spices. Without the introduction of added flavors, tempeh has a subtle nuttiness to it. It is also slightly bitter, which can be reduced through steaming or boiling.
More Recipes With Tempeh:
Over the years, I’ve learned to love it, make lots of mistakes with it, and learn more along the way. I’ve had it in burritos, BLTs, with a side of tofu scramble, and topped a soup with it. Tempeh is typically sold in a block and can sometimes be found next to tofu at the grocery store.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Easy Tempeh Bacon Recipe
- Boil tempeh in a pot for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tempeh into thin slices without falling apart.
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- On a plate or shallow dish, pour the marinade over the tempeh and allow it to sit while you heat your pan.
- Add oil to a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add tempeh slices and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Remove tempeh slices from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack or paper towels for a couple of minutes.
- Use low sodium soy sauce or it will be too salty.
- I used about ¼ teaspoon of marinade for each tempeh bacon slice.
- If you want a sous vide version of this recipe, check this one out.
- I personally like the sous vide version more, as I find marinade penetrates the tempeh better. But both ways are delicious.
Did you try out this Easy Tempeh Bacon Recipe?