When I want to up my fiber intake, while still having fun – I make a pile of thick, fluffy oat bran pancakes that keeps me satisfied until, like, dinnertime.
Seriously, the pancake stack alone has a whopping 21 grams of fiber.
Did you know? Cacao also has fiber. Two tablespoons of Hershey’s 100% cacao has 2 grams of fiber and 10 calories per serving (1 tablespoon). Ahem…so now you know why I didn’t hold back on the chocolate.
More Chocolate Recipes:
If you want to feel full of pancakes, you came to the right place. Similar to my Pumpkin Pie Spice Oat Bran Pancakes recipe, we’re using mostly whole, plant-based ingredients. The chocolate syrup is also homemade, which only requires three main ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, and water. That. Is. It.
If you want to add more sweetness to pancakes, go for a drizzle of homemade, plant-based coconut dulce de leche.
For this oat bran pancake recipe, I used Quaker’s Oat Bran. I typically buy in bulk online, because, for whatever reason, my local store doesn’t carry it, or is often out-of-stock. Bob’s Red Mill brand also sells oat bran online. Stock up!
My tip for purchasing chia seeds: buy them in bulk. They are cheaper that way. Additionally, they are shelf-stable for a long time, as long as they are kept whole (not pre-grounded). I usually buy a hefty bag that lasts me for about a year in my pantry. Yes, a year.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Oat Bran Pancakes With Chocolate Syrup Recipe
Oat Bran Pancakes:
- First, in a high-powered blender, throw in your oat bran and chia seeds. Blend for about 30-60 seconds, or until powdery and flour-like.
- Pour the blended oat bran and chia seeds into a strainer and sift over a mixing bowl.
- Add salt and baking powder to the bowl. Whisk together well.
- Next, add water and whisk again until well-combined and smooth.
- Over medium heat in a non-stick pan, add vegan butter. Once hot, pour about ¼ cup of pancake batter into the pan. Cook for 4-6 minutes on each side.
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, 1/2 cup water.
- Stir constantly until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- As the pancake batter sits, it will soak up the water and gradually become thicker. Feel free to add additional water as needed – you’re most likely going to need to.
- We’re throwing the oat bran and chia seeds into the blender for two reasons: 1) to get it to a flour consistency 2) breaking down the chia seeds will help increase absorption of their nutrients.
- Feel free to use any kind of vegan butter you like. I am a huge fan of Melt’s Organics and that is what I used.
- This recipe yields about 1-2 servings.
Cookware Used In This Recipe
Did you try out this Oat Bran Pancakes With Chocolate Syrup recipe?