But, there are some days I am craving something sweet – and something with a touch of chocolate.
That’s when a stack of oat bran pancakes slides onto my kitchen table (of course I have to make it first).
Let’s check out the ingredient breakdown.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Soy Milk – or use any vegan milk of choice. Water can work, too.
- Oat Bran – I always have this handy in bulk. If you can’t find this at your local grocery store, oat bran can be purchased online.
- Chia Seeds – Ground flax seeds can be used too if you prefer.
- Sugar – Optional, but it gives a touch of sweetness to the pancakes.
- Baking Powder – This will help the pancakes fluff up just a bit, so we’re not working with flat cakes.
- Vegan butter – Go for any vegan butter you like. You can go oil-free, but it just won’t taste and look as good.
If you’re bored of maple syrup, you can go for a homemade chocolate sauce.
How To Make Oat Bran Pancakes with Chocolate Sauce
Dutch-processed cocoa will have a deeper, darker color with more of a neutralized cocoa flavor.
On the other hand, regular cocoa powder has a lighter brown color and it’s more bitter. Choose what you like. I often switch between the two, depending on my mood and what I have available.
Okay, let’s get to how to make the sauce.
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together the sugar, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil then lower temperature to a simmer. Stir constantly until the chocolate has thickened to your liking.
For the pancake batter, we’re simply adding all of the oat bran pancake ingredients into a blender until well-combined.
What To Expect From This Recipe
- Because the batter is thicker and packed with fiber, it will take some time to cook each pancake. About 3-4 minutes on each side, to be exact.
- Due to the fiber and protein content in these pancakes, they will fill you up!
- This recipe yields about 4-5 pancakes, depending on their size.
Tried out this Oat Bran Pancakes recipe?
Oat Bran Pancakes
Oat Bran Pancakes
Chocolate Sauce (Optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Oat Bran Pancakes:
- Pour the vegan milk, oat bran, chia seeds, sugar, salt, and baking powder into the blender. Blend for a few seconds, until batter-like.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes to thicken up.
Homemade Chocolate Sauce (Optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together the sugar, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil then lower temperature to a simmer. Stir constantly until the chocolate has thickened to your liking.
- As the pancake batter sits, it will soak up the water and gradually become thicker. Feel free to add additional water as needed – you’re most likely going to need to
- This recipe yields about 4-5 medium-sized pancakes.