Oat bran pancakes are the perfect way to get that pancake fix, without the guilt. This stack is packed with protein and fiber – keeping you satiated until it’s time for the next meal.
I don’t have much of a sweet tooth in the morning, but I still crave the comfort that comes from a soft, fluffy stack of pancakes, a neat drizzle of syrup, and soft pat of butter. On those days, I opt for plant-based oat bran pancakes.
Why You’ll Love This
- These oat bran pancakes are an excellent source of protein and fiber, thanks to all of the ingredients used in this recipe.
- Making pancakes doesn’t have to be messy or complicated. That’s why this batter is whipped up in a blender and each pancake is cooked up in just 2 minutes.
- This recipe has been updated for a tastier, fluffier, softer pancake stack.
If you’re into recipes using oat bran, be sure to also check out our Buttery Oat Bran Porridge and Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Oat Bran: This is the star of our recipe! Oat bran will provide a significant amount of protein and fiber in the pancakes.
Whole Wheat Flour: We’re adding whole wheat flour to our pancake mix to make it more light and fluffy – since oat bran can be quite heavy.
Baking Powder: Pancakes need to rise a bit and that’s where baking powder comes in.
Sugar: To provide some sweetness to the pancakes. You can opt out, or change out the sugar for your sweetener choice.
Chia Seeds: Serves as an egg replacer and provides healthy, plant-based fiber and protein.
Water/Milk: I used soy milk in this recipe, but you can go for any kind of dairy-free milk of choice. Or, go with water.
Vanilla Extract: If you need some added sweetness and complex flavors, a splash of vanilla extract is a great way to get that!
What To Eat With Oat Bran Pancakes
Oat bran pancakes, just like conventional pancakes, can be enjoyed with your favorite pancake syrup and a bit of butter.
As for sides, I like to add more protein to my plate and pair the stack with a hefty side of scrambled tofu or mushroom bacon.
More ideas for additions include:
- Veggie Sausage
- Fruit Salad
- Hash Browns
To top off the pancakes: blackberries & honey, almond butter, peanut butter, sliced bananas, vegan whipped cream, chocolate chips, fruit/berry jam, granola, and yogurt.
How To Store
Store the oat bran pancakes in an airtight container or reusable silicone bag for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat, warm in the microwave for a few minutes.
More Breakfast Recipes To Try Out
Tried out this Oat Bran Pancakes recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it, or tag a picture @plantbasedandbroke on Instagram and hashtag it #plantbasedandbroke. Show off that creation with us.
Healthy Oat Bran Pancakes
- 2 cups soy milk or non-dairy milk or choice/water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Pour all of the ingredients into a blender, with the wet/liquid ingredients going in first. Blend until smooth.
- Allow the oat bran pancake batter to sit and thicken up for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add vegan butter. Once hot, pour about 1/2 cup of pancake batter into the pan. Cook for about 1 minutes on each side, until golden.
- This blog post and recipe has been updated and improved.
That homemade chocolate sauce seems so yummy and simple to make. Will certainly give this a try.