Sometimes, I just want to eat like a queen, without having to do so much work in the kitchen.
As much as I love cooking, I’d consider myself the type of cook that wants something quick, cheap, and not complicated. And this is why I whipped up this basic breakfast tofu scramble.
What Is A Tofu Scramble?
And of couse, tofu scramble uses tofu rather than eggs.
My go-to additions to a basic tofu scramble include nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, turmeric, and black pepper.
What Does Tofu Taste Like?
Tofu by itself is rather bland and take up the flavors you add to it. Out of the package, tofu has a subtle smell – almost clay-like.
When preparing the tofu block for a tofu scramble, all you have to do is drain the excess water from the packaging. There is no need to press the tofu block for this recipe – a bit of water is a-okay.
What To Add In A Tofu Scramble?
Just about anything can be added to a tofu scramble. Just like an egg scramble, tofu scramble is vesatile.
Some of my favorite additions include:
- Collard Greens
- Bell Peppers
- Mushroom Bacon
- Scallions/Green Onion
This recipe only asks for 6 ingreidents – most of which are spices. However, feel free to mix up the flavors. You don’t need the spices listed.
The most important ingredients in this tofu scramble recipe is the tofu itself.
Pro-tip: nutritional yeast adds a nice umami flavor to the tofu and turmeric adds some color.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Tofu Sausage Crumbles
- Tofu Sausage Gravy
- Savory Oats
- Coffee Banana Smoothie Bowl
Basic Breakfast Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Drain the excess water from tofu. Crumble tofu with your hands or with a fork. Set a pan over high heat. Add vegan butter.
- Once vegan butter had melted, pull apart tofu into crumbly pieces and add directly to the pan. Cook tofu for 3 minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, salt, and garlic powder to the tofu. Stir tofu and seasonings all together. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Use firm tofu – that’s going to get you that eggy bite you’re looking for.
- If you’re using extra/super firm tofu, you might need to chop in small pieces. It’ll be tough tearing it apart.
- Be sure to drain and pat dry the tofu as much as you can.
- For this recipe, I used vegan butter, but oil is fine too.
- To crumble the tofu, just pull apart pieces from the block.
- This takes about 10-12 minutes to cook.
Did you try out this Basic Breakfast Tofu Scramble?