Switching out eggs for tofu was one of the easiest plant-based breakfast swaps I made. Although intimidating at first, making tofu scramble was easier than I anticipated. You’ll just need a block of firm tofu along with your favorite spices. Also, there is no need to press the tofu in this recipe!
I highly recommend getting super-firm tofu or extra-firm tofu. These blocks have less water in them. However, regular firm tofu works, too. They may have some more water to them – but you might prefer it. Either way, you won’t have to press the block. Win-win.
Why You’ll Love This
- No pressing necessary! All you’ll need to do is remove the tofu from its packaging, drain out some of the excess water, and get right into cooking!
- This recipe takes only TEN MINUTES! No chopping, slicing, or complicated steps are needed for this tofu scramble.
- Tofu scramble is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and packed with protein!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Firm Tofu – Firm tofu or extra-firm tofu works great for a tofu scramble. Especially if you enjoy a meatier or chewier texture. For a softer tofu scramble, regular tofu is great.
- Vegan Butter – Or, go for olive oil or a spritz of non-stick spray.
- Nutritional Yeast – Nutritional yeast helps brings a touch of umami to this dish – I highly recommend adding it in and not holding back!
- Turmeric Powder – Turmeric powder will provide some color to the tofu scramble. You’ll only need a little bit. You can skip this spice altogether, you’ll just end up with a color closer to egg whites.
- Garlic Powder – Optional, but a great addition!
- Salt – Add as little or as much as you want. Even consider sea salt or garlic salt.
How To Make The Best Tofu Scramble
- Drain excess water from the tofu block.
- Crumble tofu into small pieces – either by hand or with a fork.
- Heat butter in a skillet and add the tofu.
- Cook tofu for a couple of minutes.
- Add spices. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
What To Eat With Breakfast Tofu Scramble
Similar to an egg scramble, a tofu scramble goes perfectly with other savory sides and dishes.
What Is Tofu
Tofu is a vegan, soy-based product that is made by curdling milk and molding it into a tofu block. Tofu can be made from scratch, but it’s becoming widely available in stores and it’ll save you time by just buying it prepared.
What Is A Tofu Scramble
What Does Tofu Taste Like
Tofu by itself tastes rather bland and takes up the flavors you add to it. Out of the package, tofu has a subtle smell – almost clay-like.
When preparing the tofu block for a tofu scramble, all you have to do is drain the excess water from the packaging. There is no need to press the tofu block for this recipe – a bit of water is a-okay.
What Kind Of Tofu To Use For Tofu Scramble
Firm tofu or extra-firm tofu works great for a breakfast tofu scramble. Medium/normal tofu can also be used, but it may be more water. If you opt to use this type of tofu, drain any excess water before, during, and after cooking the tofu.
Can You Keep Leftover Tofu Scramble
Yes! Once your tofu is done cooking, transfer it to an air-tight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat the scrambled tofu in the microwave, heat for 60-90 seconds.
To reheat by stovetop, transfer the tofu into a non-stick skillet and cook over medium until warm all the way through.
What To Add to a Tofu Scramble
Just about anything can be added to a tofu scramble. Just like an egg scramble, a tofu scramble is versatile.
Some of my favorite additions include:
- Collard Greens
- Bell Peppers
- Mushroom Bacon
- Scallions/Green Onion
- Black Beans
- Hot Sauce
- Red Onions
Spices to add:
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Garam Masala
- Curry Powder
- Black Peper
- Black Salt
- To go oil-free, leave it out. Just use a non-stick pan or skillet.
- Feel free to change up the spices and add-ons to the tofu scramble!
More Breakfast Recipes:
Tried out this Tofu Scramble recipe?
Basic Breakfast Tofu Scramble (Ready in 10 Minutes!)
- Drain the excess water from tofu. Crumble tofu with your hands or with a fork. Set a pan over high heat. Add vegan butter.
- Once vegan butter had melted, transfer the crumbled tofu pieces directly to the pan. Cook tofu for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, garlic powder, and salt to the tofu. Stir tofu and seasonings all together. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Serve.
- To go oil-free, use a non-stick skillet/pan. To reduce oil, use a cooking oil spray.
- I recommend using either firm, super-firm, or extra-firm tofu. Siken tofu is very soft and will change the texture of this dish. However, go for what you enjoy.
Did you try out this 10-Minute Breakfast Tofu Scramble?