Going plant-based can take some time and some money, but with thinking outside of the box – it can be just as quick, easy, and affordable as non-veg meals.
This tofu scramble takes just ten minutes in a screaming, hot pan. One of the first meals I learned to switch out was a basic egg scramble with a tofu scramble. Although intimidating at first, making tofu scramble was actually easier than I anticipated.
You’ll just need a block of firm tofu along with your favorite spices. Also, there is no need to press the tofu in this recipe!
Just simply drain the water from the tofu block and move forward with creating your tofu scramble dish.
I highly recommend getting super-firm tofu or extra-firm tofu. These blocks have less water in them. However, regular firm tofu works, too. They may have some more water to them – but you might prefer it. Either way, you won’t have to press the block.
I typically go for super-firm tofu that I buy from Trader Joe’s because it has a “meatier” or chewier texture – which I prefer.
What Is A Tofu Scramble?
First, let’s talk about tofu. Tofu is a vegan, soy-based product that is made by curdling milk and molding it into a tofu block. Tofu can be made from scratch, but it’s becoming widely available in stores and it’ll save you time by just buying it prepared.
My go-to additions to a basic tofu scramble include nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, turmeric, and black pepper.
What Does Tofu Taste Like?
Tofu by itself tastes rather bland and take up the flavors you add to it. Out of the package, tofu has a subtle smell – almost clay-like.
When preparing the tofu block for a tofu scramble, all you have to do is drain the excess water from the packaging. There is no need to press the tofu block for this recipe – a bit of water is a-okay.
What To Add In A Tofu Scramble?
Just about anything can be added to a tofu scramble. Just like an egg scramble, tofu scramble is vesatile.
Some of my favorite additions include:
- Collard Greens
- Bell Peppers
- Mushroom Bacon
- Scallions/Green Onion
- Black beans
This recipe only asks for 6 ingreidents – most of which are spices. However, feel free to mix up the flavors. You don’t need the spices listed.
The most important ingredients in this tofu scramble recipe is the tofu itself.
Pro-tip: nutritional yeast adds a nice umami flavor to the tofu and turmeric adds some color.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Tofu Sausage Crumbles
- Tofu Sausage Gravy
- Savory Oats
- Coffee Banana Smoothie Bowl
10-Minute Breakfast Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Drain the excess water from tofu. Crumble tofu with your hands or with a fork. Set a pan over high heat. Add vegan butter.
- Once vegan butter had melted, transfer the crumbled tofu pieces directly to the pan. Cook tofu for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, garlic powder, and salt to the tofu. Stir tofu and seasonings all together. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- To go oil-free, use a non-stick skillet/pan. To reduce oil, use a cooking oil spray.
- I recommend using either firm, super-firm, or extra-firm tofu. Siken tofu is very soft and will change the texture of this dish. However, go for what you enjoy.
Did you try out this 10-Minute Breakfast Tofu Scramble?