Don’t want to cook for lunch? Don’t need to.
Similar to our creamy rigatoni recipe, this dish only requires a handful of ingredients that are mixed and served.
I’ve been craving refreshing, chilled food, something similar to a tuna salad sandwich (of course without tuna). So, I gave my can of chickpeas a little bit of love.
Here’s a little bit of what you can expect from this dish:
- It’s filling and satiating
- We’re only using 8 ingredients
- Like a chicken or tuna salad, it has a mix of vegetables and a delicious crunch from the celery
- Made in just minutes
This chickpeas salad recipe can be turned into a sandwich, wrap, burrito, sushi, or add to a bed of greens.
More Summer Recipes:
Check out our full list for summer vegetarian recipes.
- No need to toast bread for this recipe! I find that a soft, fresh slice of bread works well in this recipe. But if you prefer an extra-crispy toast, heat in a toaster oven for a few minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Add the toppings you love. I kept mine simple and added juicy, sliced tomatoes. I also added more cashew sauce and spinach leaves to the sandwich.
- If you don’t have cashew cream sauce handy, vegan mayo works just fine.
- Canned chickpeas work great in this recipe. Or, cook and use dry chickpeas if you prefer.
How To Store
In the mood for burgers? Check out our delicious list of plant-based burgers!
Plant-Based Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 15.5 ounces can of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tablespoons of cashew cream see recipe notes
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup celery finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium mixing bowl and with the back of a fork, mash the chickpeas.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread more cashew cream on the bottom slice of bread, then top with spinach, the chickpeas salad, sliced tomatoes, and some salt and black pepper.
Did you try out this Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe?