Plant-based lunch recipes can be made without a fuss and this chickpea salad sandwich is proof of that. Made with just 8 ingredients and it’s perfect for meal prep. It’s also great for a quick and easy dinner meal.
Why You’ll Love This Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- It takes minutes to make! And to make things easier, this recipe can be made in advance. It’s perfect for meal prep! That means all you have to do is scoop it onto your favorite sliced bread and load it up with your go-to veggies.
- This can be made gluten-free! Instead of using bread, go for a chickpea salad lettuce wrap, instead. Or, go with gluten-free bread.
- No mayo needed! We’re using our homemade cashew cream to fatten up this chickpea salad.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans. You’ll want to get either canned chickpeas or previously cooked chickpeas. If using dried chickpeas that have been cooked, I suggest adding more cashew cream – as cooked chickpeas can be drier than canned. They are packed with plant-based fiber and protein. They’ll be sure to fill you up for any meal!
- Cashew Cream: My cashew cream recipe is the perfect addition to this chickpea salad sandwich recipe! It brings in plant-based creaminess, all thanks to cashews. However, if you prefer vegan mayo – you can totally do use that instead.
- Red Onion: We’ll be dicing them finely. They’ll add crunch and flavor to this recipe.
- Celery: Like onions, celery will bring crunch and flavor to our chickpea salad.
- Dijon Mustard: A must-have for flavor! It gets its distinctive flavor from white wine. If you prefer regular mustard or honey mustard instead, go for it!
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika: We want to get smoky with this recipe and smoked paprika will help us get there!
- Salt & Pepper: Add as little or as much as you like.
What To Eat With Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Because this sandwich is packed with protein, I like to pair it with a carb source. The easiest could be a handful of chips.
To keep it healthy, go for a small side salad, zucchini soup, or air fryer red potatoes. Other sides that make a great addition to this dish include fruit salad, macaroni salad, pickles, and roasted vegetables.
- If you don’t feel like making cashew cream, (vegan) mayo work just fine.
- Go for any kind of topping or additions you like for this sandwich. I love going with tomatoes and lettuce/greens!
- If you’re meal prepping, assemble the sandwich when you’re ready to eat.
If you’re looking for more healthy, plant-based lunch ideas, check these out:
How To Store
In the mood for burgers? Check out our delicious list of plant-based burgers!
Creamy Chickpea Salad Sandwich (No Mayo!)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium mixing bowl and with the back of a fork, mash the chickpeas.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread more cashew cream on the bottom slice of bread, then top with spinach, the chickpeas salad, sliced tomatoes, and some salt and black pepper.
Did you try out this Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe?