Easy, straight-to-the-point, delicious cannellini bean veggie burger that’s great for nights when you want something vegetarian but you don’t want to spend an enormous amount of time in the kitchen.
They are perfect with low-carb baked zucchini fries!
This recipe has been improved and updated.
There are plenty of delicious veggie burgers out on the web, but unfortunately, take a long list of ingredients, time, and money. So, we’re switching things up – the cheap and accessible way.
Whenever I make a veggie burger, my go-to’s include ketchup, vegan mayo, crisp lettuce, and juicy sliced tomatoes. Maybe pickles – they’re growing on me.
Sides To Go With The Burgers:
- Veggie burgers hold better after placed in a container and firmed up in the refrigerator or freezer for a little while – about 20-30 minutes. However, if you want to go straight to cooking – that’s fine too.
- As you are making your batch of cannellini bean veggie burgers, feel free to taste them to see if you’ve added enough seasonings and salt to your liking. Canned beans are already cooked, so it’s totally fine to try them before you “cook” them.
Why Use Chia Seeds?
Because we’re going full veggie – we won’t be using eggs in this recipe. This means we’ll need to replace the eggs with a binder that is plant-based-friendly and works just as well as eggs.
That’s where chia seeds come in.
When chia seeds and water are mixed together and left to sit for about five minutes, they become gel-like, similar to eggs. They are the perfect ingredients to bind the veggie burger
How To Store
You can make the uncooked veggie burger patties ahead and use them when you’re ready.
If stacking them in the freezer, place a piece of parchment paper between each burger. Cook them right from the freezer.
Cannellini Bean Veggie Burger
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
Cannellini Veggie Burgers
- 1 can cannellini beans (15.5 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 5 tablespoons oat flour (see note #3)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a small bowl, mix together chia seeds and water. Set aside and have it sit for at least 5 minutes. Then, give it a stir.
Cannellini Veggie Burgers
- In a large mixing bowl, pour in the beans. Smash beans with a potato masher or with a fork. Then, add in the oat flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and chia egg. Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Make a ball with the burger mixture and cut it into 4 pieces. With your hands, form balls and then flatten and shape the mixture into patties. Place patties onto a plate and freeze to firm up for 20 minutes.
- Add oil to a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook on each side for 5 minutes, carefully flipping. Serve and add your favorite toppings.
- If there’s a different spice mix you prefer, use that. This recipe is versatile!
- If the burger mixture is too wet, add more oat flour. It shouldn’t be so sticky that it sticks to your hands.
- To make oat flour, you simply need to blend old-fashioned oats in a blender until flour-like.
Did you try out this Cannellini Bean Veggie Burgers recipe?