One of my favorite ways to welcome in the warmer weather is to gather up the ingredients to make a wholesome, creamy red potato salad.
I recommend serving this summertime potato salad chilled, however, you can serve it warm or at room temperature.
Here’s a little secret: a great ingredient to include in your potato salad is chopped apples. It’s not for everyone, but they bring a nice crunch and sweetness to the potato salad.
But you know, keep the apples in mind if you want to switch it up.
If you’re a bacon-kind-of-person, but want to keep this recipe vegan, throw in chopped mushroom bacon!
It’ll add more smokiness and umami to this dish. Very worth it if you have the time.
Why You’ll Love This
- It’s naturally creamy. We are able to achieve this with the help of raw cashews and a few spices. No cheese or oil in this recipe!
- Requires less than 10, easy-to-find plant-based ingredients.
- It’s a great crowd-pleasing dish that’s satiating, flavorful, and pairs well with other summer-appropriate food.
Best Potatoes To Use For Potato Salad
Any potato variety works for this recipe – yes, including russet potatoes.
However, if you want a more stable potato, I recommend using a lower-starch or waxy potato.
I’ve used both russet and red potatoes and it comes down to preference, access, and cost.
How Long To Boil Potatoes
Depending on how large or small the potatoes are chopped, it can take anywhere between 10-20 minutes to get them fork-tender.
Periodically check the texture of the potatoes while they are boiling or simmering.
You’ll know when the potatoes are done when there is no resistance when pierced with a fork or knife.
How To Store
Once done, cool down the potato salad. Then, store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Vegan Creamy Red Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes cut into large cubes
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a flat surface or baking sheet to cool down to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Combine potatoes with the cashew “mayo”, red onion, bell pepper, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away at room temperature or chilled.
- If you prefer to, you can use vegan mayo instead. However, to keep it plant-based and to have control over the flavor, go for the cashew “mayo” and adjust to your liking.
- If you’re unable to find red potatoes, gold potatoes work. Russet potatoes can be used, too.
- Although this can be served at room temperature, it’s delicious when chilled. This will allow the ingredients and flavors to mingle with each other.
- Feel free to peel the potatoes. I kept their peels intact to avoid food waste, add some texture, and keep the fiber.
Did you try out this Creamy Red Potato Salad recipe?