It reminds me of my childhood when my grandmother would serve me one of my favorites: farina (Cream of Wheat). Instead, I am using a savory oat bran bowl topped with tofu.
Although I dabble in a sweet oat bran bowl from time-to-time, it’s not very often.
Oat bran may be a little challenging to find, but brands like Bob’s Red Mill and Quaker make them. Additionally, you can also find oat bran online on Amazon if you can’t find it in-person.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
This recipe is for two servings. Here’s how I made my savory oat bran bowl with tofu, kale, and walnuts:
Savory Oat Bran Bowl With Tofu Recipe
- If you’re unsure where to get oat bran, Quaker and Bob’s Red Mill sells them. You can also find them on Amazon.
- Vegan butter is one of those things I really love, but you don’t have to have it. Switch it out for a plant-based fat (coconut oil, peanut butter, or nothing).
- Remember to drain and pat dry the tofu block.
- 2/3 cup oat bran cereal
- Firm tofu
- A few walnuts
- Some kale
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan butter (optional)
- Rip kale into small, bite-sized pieces. Throw into a pot over medium heat with 1/2 cup of water.
- Steam the kale until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add more water if need be. Set aside and sprinkle some salt.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch planks.
- Over medium heat, add 1 tsp of coconut oil into a pan. Cook tofu on all sides until golden. Set aside and sprinkle some salt.
- Over medium heat, add a pot of the oats and water. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cooked oats into a bowl. Add a bit of butter and salt. Mix well. Then add the tofu, walnuts, and kale.
Want more oat bran recipes? Check these out: