It tastes indulgent, but this 4-ingredient chocolate chia seed pudding is 100% plant-based, made with good-for-you ingredients.
These days, I’m making my favorite childhood snacks homemade and wholesome.
Besides, homemade sweets can be healthier, since you have more control over the kind of ingredients and how much of them you want to use. And if you indulge in have this dessert for breakfast – it’s a great morning meal, too.
For a classic pudding, check out our cream of rice recipe.
How To Make Chia Seed Pudding
This recipe is raw and there is no cooking is required. Additionally, the ingredients will be simply tossed into a blender to whip up a smooth and creamy batch of pudding.
The ingredients include chia seeds, cocoa powder (Dutch-processed), dates, and non-dairy milk.
As the chia seeds sit in liquid, it will gel up and become pudding-like. The longer it sits in the liquid, the thicker it becomes.
So although we are not cooking anything, patience is still necessary.
Dutch-processed cocoa powder will be used instead of natural for this recipe. Dutch-processed cocoa powder has a more intense chocolate flavor, a darker color, and the acidity is toned down. However, if you prefer natural cocoa powder – go for it.
I recommend allowing the chocolate chia seed pudding mixture to mingle with each other for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
To keep this vegan dessert healthy, we’re opting for a natural sweetener: dates. If you prefer a sweeter pudding, add more dates. If you prefer a mildly-sweet pudding, add fewer dates.
You can taste the pudding before chilling – it’s safe!
More Chocolate Recipes Recipes :
- Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Oat Bran Pancakes With Chocolate Syrup
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
- I suggest using a high-speed blender like Nutribullet to grind down the ingredients until smooth.
- Any non-dairy milk will work for this recipe. If you’re opting for coconut milk, just keep in mind that’s very high in saturated fats. Which means it’s also high in calories. I would just tone down the thickness and its calories with water.
- I think we can call this a superfood? This recipe is packed with plant-based protein and fiber from the chia seeds, dates, and cocoa powder. Depending on the kind of milk you go with – it’ll also pack on a ton of protein.
Topping Ideas For Pudding
You can add any kind of toppings you want for your pudding. I usually go for what I always have around the kitchen: chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and sometimes more chia seeds on top.
Here are other toppings to consider:
- Shredded coconut
- Peanut butter
- Whipped cream
- Any seeds or nuts
How To Store
Store the pudding without the toppings in an airtight container. It can keep in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
4-Ingredient Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender, until smooth.
- Next, pour the mixture into a container, cover with a lid, and chill in the refridgerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with your favorite toppings.
- If the dates are tough and dry, soften them up in minutes.
Did you try out this 4-Ingredient Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding recipe?