I opened up my pantry and for the first time in a long time, I groaned at the four boxes of oat bran I have patiently waiting for me every morning.
I love oat bran, but I had to switch things up a bit. I decided that today would be a good day to fold together with a super simple vegan breakfast burrito recipe that’s filling, high in fiber, and loaded with protein – literally.
I also didn’t want to make a big fuss out of it, so I just used what I had. And that meant settling for vegan ranch instead of sriracha sauce because I ran out. But let’s be honest, it’s not really my sriracha, but the person I live with. Sharing is caring, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Additionally, I knew that I didn’t want to spend time chopping, so I didn’t. That’s what dry seasonings and spices are for.
For this vegan breakfast burrito, I wanted something high in protein, with a variety of flavors, while also using what have in my kitchen. Here’s what I came up with:
- Tofu scramble
- Canned black beans
- A potato
Wanna check out my basic tofu scramble? Check this recipe out.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- First, cut the potato into small, ½-inch pieces. In a bowl, mix the potato pieces with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Next, turn on toaster oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the cut-up potato pieces on a tray with some space in-between.
- Bake the potato pieces for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Meanwhile, set a non-stick pan on a stovetop. Set heat to high.
- Add oil and crumble the tofu directly into the pan and toss around with the oil.
- Combine tofu with turmeric, nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the tofu for about 8 minutes. Then, throw in a handful of spinach, then, cook for another minute, or until wilted.
- Once done, set aside the tofu scramble into a bowl. In the same pan, add a bit more oil. Add the soyrizo and cook for about 5 minutes, or what is indicated on the package. Set aside.
How To Assemble Burrito
- First, layout the tortilla on a microwavable safe dish. Warm it up for a few 5-10 seconds, until warm.
- Next, add a small layer of tofu scramble, soyrizo, beans, potatoes, your choice of sauce.
- Fold the burrito. Finally, cut a burrito in half. Serve.
- Use whatever sauce you like. I just went for whatever I had in my kitchen. You’ll want something like salsa, hummus, plain Greek yogurt, or guacamole to give some wetness and/or fats to the burrito.
- If you don’t know how to properly fold a burrito, check out this handy article.
- I cooked my potatoes in a toaster oven because I was just making this for me. But feel free to use a regular oven.
- When roasting the potato, be sure to leave some space between each piece to prevent from steaming.
- Be sure to drain and rinse the beans prior to adding them to your burrito.
- This recipe yields about 1-2 servings.
Did you try out this Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @plantbasedandbroke on Instagram and hashtag it #plantbasedandbroke. Show off that creation with us. 😉