The holiday season is finally here and there’s nothing wrong with indulging in a batch of warm cinnamon brown sugar Christmas snowball cookies.
‘Tis the season for everything spiced and sweet.
Also known as Mexican wedding cakes or Russian tea cakes, snowball cookies are exactly how you’d imagine them – they are small, round, and resemble snowballs.
They are traditionally made with just a handful of ingredients: vegan butter, sugar, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, all-purpose flour, and nuts of choice.
I decided to switch things up and bring a touch of cinnamon to really make these cookies taste like Christmas.
So, if you’re a cinnamon, brown sugar lover – you’re going to love these cookies. If you want to pair your cookies with something warm, they pair well with spiced tea, hot chocolate, vegan eggnog, or warm apple cider.
Serve them as a sweet treat for Christmas breakfast, or as a holiday dessert.
More Dessert Recipes:
Texture & Flavor Of Snowball Cookies
The texture of the cookies are soft, yet textured. They are best described having a texture of short bread or biscuits. Soft, but with personality.
This is due to the high-fat content, the vegan butter in the case. As they bake, the should keep a relatively round shape and should not spread like traditional cookies.
Why Are My Cookies Crumbly?
It’s normal to have snowball cookies to be a bit crumbly to the bite, but they should be firm enough to roll in powdered sugar without breaking apart.
Go Nut-Free If You Want
If you’re not into nuts, or just can’t have them – you can opt-out. The cookies will still be delicious.
On the other hand, if you want to keep the nuts but prefer something else other than walnuts, that’s okay too.
Other nuts you consider for your cookies include crushed almonds, pecans, pine nuts, or macadamia nuts. The choice is yours, besides, you’re the one eating them.
Other cookie additions to think about include chocolate chips or sprinkles.
How To Store
If you’re in the mood for something sweet, healthy, that doesn’t require any baking, check out our gluten-free, vegan cookie dough.
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter soften, room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (70 grams, packed cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In 4 batches, fold in sifted flour to the butter mixture. Combine well. Next, fold in the chopped walnuts. Cover the bowl and refrigerate cookie batter for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1 tablespoon worth of cookie batter, roll into a ball (do not flatten), and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake cinnamon brown sugar snowball cookies for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately roll them in powdered sugar. Then, cool the balls on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the snowball cookies into the powdered sugar one more time. Serve.
Ready to walk into the new year with a plant-based plan? Check out our frugal guide to going plant-based.
Did you try out this Cinnamon Brown Sugar Christmas Snowball Cookies recipe?