Do you have days where all you do is just check the pantry and think about what you can put together? Yeah, that’s me every day.
Going into this easy red lentil coconut curry dish, I knew exactly what I wanted.
I wanted something filling, garlicky, warm, and comforting. This bowl of red lentil coconut curry did exactly that. The best part? Only took just a handful of ingredients – most of which came directly from my kitchen pantry.
Check out the dry beans section of your grocery store to locate red split lentils. They are often found at big-box grocery stores, or at Indian grocery stores. If you’re still unable to find them, red split lentils can be found online.
I don’t recommend switching red split lentils with a different type of lentil in this recipe. Red split lentils take about 15-20 minutes to cook. Green or another type of lentil variety require longer cook times.
Sides To Have With Red Lentil Curry
Pair this light dish with something hearty – here are a few ideas.
Easy Red Lentil Coconut Curry Recipe
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 2.5 cups water
- 13 ounce can of coconut milk
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- In a pot over medium heat, add coconut oil. Next, add the garlic. Stir and let it cook until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds
- Add the tomato paste into the pot. Stir and cook for one minute. Add the cumin, ginger, turmeric, and salt. Mix all together.
- Pour stir together the water and lentils. Cover pot with lid slightly ajar. Reduce heat to a low simmer for 12 minutes.
- Next, add coconut milk. Remove the lid from the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir frequently and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use coconut milk from the can.
- If the curry is not thick enough for you, add a teaspoon or so of all-purpose flour.
- Also, feel free to add more dry seasonings to the recipe if 1 teaspoon is not enough (cumin, turmeric, ginger, salt).
Did you try out this Red Lentil Coconut Curry Recipe?