Good gracious these burgers are epic!
Perks about lentil burgers: they hold their shape very well and they are totally filling. When I am very hungry, I’ll usually cook up about 2 servings of green lentils to make a huge burger.
They are actually easy to make. Just cook the lentils as per the package instructions. I used Trader Joe’s small green lentils, which I cook them for about 35 minutes along with some water and spices. Additionally, what you want in your spice mix is totally up to you.
For the spice mix, I used sazon, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
This recipe makes one huge burger, or 2 regular size burgers.
Depends on how hungry you are!
Easy Plant-Based Lentil Burgers Recipe
- ½ cup small green lentils
- 1 ½ cup water
- Seasoning mix
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp oat flour (add more if needed)
- Add lentils, water, and spice mix into a small pot.
- Bring up to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer until tender, or about 35 minutes.
- Drain water from lentils and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the chia seeds and oat flour to the bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the lentils mix to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scoop out the blended lentil mix and shape out burger patties.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to a medium hot pan.
- Cook burger for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
The texture for these burgers are out of this world – chunky, full of texture, and filling. However, you’ll want to dress them up a bit. Add your favorite sauces and toppings. I used ketchup and a vegan chipotle sauce.
- Pre-cook, you’ll want the burger patties to be on the drier side to keep them firm and compact.
Need more help getting started with your plant-based journey? Check out our last blog.
Be sure to also check out our growing community!