A good meal doesn’t have to take hours of prep time and a million ingredients - just go back to your childhood and think about some of the staples.
One of those kid-friendly meals was probably a basic, but delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No frills, just two slices of bread, peanut butter, and jam. There’s no secret to why a pb&j sandwich is a one-of-a-kind meal.
It’s creamy, sweet, with a healthy balance of carbs and fat.
If you want to take your peanut butter jelly sandwich to the next level, you can add a little bit of this or that. It’s about what your taste buds want. Great as a snack or for lunch.
If you're looking for more sweetness in your day, go for a batch of homemade snowball cookies.
Ideas To Add To A PB&J Sandwich
- Date Paste
- Tempeh bacon / mushroom bacon
- Fresh fruit (bananas, berries, apples)
- Coconut flakes
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Chocolate syrup
- Nuts (almond slices, peanuts, cashews, walnuts)
- Cookie butter
- Chocolate chips
- Dried fruit
- Potato chips
Whatever you add, make it yours.
Personally, it’s whatever is in my pantry and whatever I am in the mood for. Today, I wanted the usual pb&j sandwich, but with a little bit of pazazz.
If you're in the mood for a light and savory sandwich, check out our easy cucumber sandwich.
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Grilled Cinnamon Raisin PB&J Sandwich
- First, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread. Next, spread the jelly on the other slice of bread.
- Add a pinch of ground cinnamon, chia seeds, and raisins. Press the two pieces of bread together to make a sandwich.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add a dollop of vegan butter. Place the sandwich onto the pan and grill until lightly golden, then flip over.
- Continue to cook until the other side is golden, about 3-5 minutes each side. Place the sandwich onto the pan and grill until lightly golden, then flip over.
- This sandwich isn’t hearty and mighty, but it’s delicious and just…right. However, feel free to double up the ingredients if you want something large and in charge.
- If you want to take this sandwich to the next level, use great bread. Freshly baked bread is always my top choice if I have it on hand. I love a good slice of dense whole wheat bread with sunflower seeds!
- The measurements for this recipe aren’t strict. We’re not baking a cake here.
Cookware Used In This Recipe
Did you try out this Grilled Cinnamon Raisin PB&J Sandwich recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it, or tag a picture @plantbasedandbroke on Instagram and hashtag it #plantbasedandbroke. Show off that creation with us.
Get started with an affordable plant-based diet and check out our beginner's guide to going plant-based for cheap.