A few years ago, I attempted to make a large batch of pancakes to serve guests. All I could think was, “never again.” I decided the menu for next time would include other quick and easy breakfast items like scrambled tofu or banana bread.
But then I learned about sheet pan pancakes.
And everything changed. The following year, I made sheet pan pancakes and they were a game-changer. They took less effort, time, and NO FLIPPING!
That meant that I could do my thing with a pancake batter, pour it into a pan, let it rise into something perfect.
Why You’ll Love This
- Sheet pan pancakes are a HASSLE-FREE way of making pancakes. No flipping, standing around and monitoring the pancakes. Just slide the pan into the oven and set your timer for 15 minutes. Whether you’re serving these for a party or for a big family - you’ll love the ease in this recipe.
- These pancakes are incredibly soft!
- They can be topped with whatever you like! In this case, we’re going with chocolate chips!
What Are Sheet Pan Pancakes
Sheet pan pancakes are pancakes that are cooked in the oven, in a sheet pan. This method of making pancakes is easy, fuss-free, and great to serve a crowd. There’s also minimal clean-up involved.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ground Flaxseed - Because we’re going vegan and eggless here, we need a binder that’s similar. Ground flaxseed with hot water creates the perfect egg-like texture. If you don’t have ground flaxseed, you can use chia “egg” instead.
- All-Purpose Flour - Be sure to spoon the flour into a measuring cup. Do not pack! To make things easier, you could use a food scale (you’ll need about 360 grams of flour).
- Baking Powder - This is to lift and thicken your pancakes - don’t skip out!
- Sugar - To add some sweetness to the pancake batter.
- Salt - Salt helps enhance the flavors.
- Vegan Milk - Adds the moisture we need for this batter.
- Oil - You’ll want to use a neutral-flavor oil like canola or vegetable oil. The oil will help provide moisture, tenderness, and flavor to the pancakes.
- Chocolate Chips - This is completely optional, but this is a topping we opted in for.
For Add-Ons, Consider Adding These Items To The Batter Before Baking:
- Chocolate Chips
- Nuts (sliced almonds, crushed peanuts, pecans, etc.)
- Fruit (blueberries, strawberries, bananas, mixed berries)
For toppings when serving, go for whipped cream, vegan bacon, fresh fruit, peanut butter, Nutella, granola, caramel sauce, maple syrup, or a dollar of butter.
How To Make Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a sheet pan (16 ½ x 12 ½) with oil.
- Mix and fold the pancake batter. Be sure not to overmix - just enough until ingredients are well-combined and there are no dry spots.
- Pour the pancake batter into a sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, cool down for 5 minutes, serve.
Can This Recipe Be Made With Pancake Mix
You sure can! I’ve tried this recipe with store-bought pancake mix and it came out delicious. If the mix calls for eggs, just replace them with flax or chia “eggs,” or go with mashed bananas.
What Makes Pancakes Fluffy and Rise
Baking powder helps pancakes fluff up and rise!
How Long To Bake Sheet Pan Pancakes
Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
How To Store
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter. You just need to mix it enough where there are no dry spots. Overmixing the pancake mix can yield tough and chewy pancakes - we don’t want that!
- Feel free to leave the pancakes plain - no need to add chocolate chip if that’s not your thing.
Tried out this Soft & Fluffy Sheet Pan Pancakes recipe?
Soft & Fluffy Sheet Pan Pancakes (Vegan & Oven Baked)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- Stir together ground flaxseed and hot water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to thicken. Stir again.
Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Then add the flax "eggs," vegan milk, and oil. Folk and mix the ingredients with a rubber spatula. Be sure not to overmix, just until the batter is completely wet. Lumps in the batter are fine.
- Spray the baking sheet with oil and pour in the pancake batter. Spread and distribute the batter evenly. Add chocolate chips on top (optional).
- Bake for 15-16 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Cut into 12 pieces, serve.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter. You just need to mix it enough where there are no dry spots. Overmixing the pancake mix can yield tough and chewy pancakes – we don’t want that!
- Feel free to leave the pancakes plain – no need to add chocolate chip if that’s not your thing.