I was looking for a can of vegan gravy at the grocery store and that’s when the light bulb turned on and thought, “I can just make a vegan mushroom gravy myself.”
Honestly, I was trying to find a shortcut because I was too tired to cook, but I just figured out an easy recipe to make this gravy instead.
Besides, I couldn’t find any vegan, plant-based gravies at the store. If you look closely enough, most of them have dairy in them.
It’s really easy to make this gravy and you only need 5 ingredients. Feel free to cook up a heaping pile of mashed potatoes on the side for your gravy. But I am not telling you what to do, have your gravy with whatever you want – slathered on french fries, poured on top of biscuits, or spread across a lentil burger.
In this case, I added it to mashed potatoes. By the way, in case you’re wondering, it is possible to make mashed potatoes without any dairy products, processed vegan butter, or any other processed ingredient. I’ll have that recipe up in a few days. Subscribe, or visit the site and look out for it!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy, Oil-Free
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1.5 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Over medium heat, add the mushrooms into a non-stick pan.
- Pour the soy sauce over the mushrooms. Cook and stir mushrooms until liquid has been cooked off and they begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, whisk together the water and flour in a bowl. Pour the mixture to the cooked mushrooms.
- Mix and cook everything together until the gravy thickens, about 6-8 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Check out some of our most popular recipes:
Did you try out this Vegan Mushroom Gravy, Oil-Free recipe?