My favorite treat? Something that’s made with affordable, approachable, and delicious ingredients: chocolate oat bran muffins.
This morning, I woke up to a brisk 50-degree air wrapped around the inside of my home. Woo! It was frosty. It gave me the excuse to crank up the oven to warm up my apartment while sliding grab-and-go breakfast out of its belly.
These muffins can be whipped up in just 15 minutes. While that coffeepot is puttering and churning, your muffins will be fluffing up in the oven. With 6 servings to deliver, it’s a great way to serve breakfast for the entire family.
If this is your first time making oat bran muffins, keep in mind that since we’re using whole ingredients, these will be denser.
If you want these muffins to be a bit more dessert-y, you can modify the recipe. Add 3-4 tablespoons of melted butter to the batter and 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup.
There will be a light banana flavor from the ripe bananas, which will also give a natural sweetness to the muffins.
More Recipes With Oat Bran
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Chocolate Oat Bran Muffins
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- Grease a six-mold muffin or cupcake tin with vegan butter, cooking spray, or oil.
- Combine and whisk the dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Add chocolate chips to the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the greased muffin tin and fill a little over ¾ of the way full for each muffin mold.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove muffin and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes.
- The muffins are ready in about 15-17 minutes. However, pierce the center of the muffins with a toothpick to check its doneness. If it comes out clean, they’re ready. If they don’t, pop the muffins in for another couple of minutes.
- To prevent sticking, use a cooking spray or grease the muffin tins with vegan butter or oil.
- These muffins will be modestly sweet. Personally, I sometimes just want a treat that won’t send me on a downward sugar spiral.
- To add moisture and flavor to the muffins, add 2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter to the batter.
Cookware Used In Recipe
Did you try out these Chocolate Oat Bran Muffins?