Let’s taco ‘bout these breakfast tofu scramble tacos. Okay, that was a lame joke – let’s move on.
I get it, not only is a basic tofu scramble always a good idea for breakfast, but it’s also quick to whip up. But, sometimes a little bit of magic in the kitchen to transform them from “good” to “damn these are good!” can make you forget for just a moment that you have to get ready for work and be a productive member of society.
In under 30 minutes, you will have breakfast on the table and maybe a small food coma (but that’s what coffee is for).
Let’s get to this tofu scramble breakfast tacos!
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- First, drain the tofu and cut the block in half. Store one half for another time. Set the other half aside for the recipe.
- Chop the red onion, bell pepper, Roma tomato, and garlic cloves. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the onion and green bell pepper. Cook until tender.
- Next, add the chopped tomato and garlic. Cook until fragrant — about 1 minute.
- With your hands, tear the tofu block into small pieces to mimic the look of egg scramble pieces.
- Crank up the heat to medium-high heat. Mix all of the vegetables and tofu together.
- Then, add the nutritional yeast, salt, and turmeric. Mix everything together.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the beans. Mix again. Then serve.
- To toast and warm the tacos, set up a pan over medium-high heat.
- Throw the tacos into the pan and toast on each side for about 1 minute, until golden.
- If you really want to save money on tofu, check out your local Asian store. At mine, I am able to score tofu blocks for just 99 cents.
- The turmeric in this recipe helps color the tofu block to a yellowish shade. No need to add a bunch of it – it really stains. A pinch or ¼ of a teaspoon will do.
- I used Roma tomatoes because I really love their color and flavor, but you can use your favorite kind of tomato.
- If you don’t have olive oil, any kind of vegetable oil will do.
- I used canned black beans for this recipe. Just be sure to drain the liquid and give it a quick rinse.
- This recipe makes about 1-2 servings.
- If you want to make the beans from scratch, you’ll just need additional time. But it’s easy. Check out my black bean recipe.
Cookware Used In This Recipe
While you’re here, check out our most popular recipes on the website:
Did you try out this Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos?