Tofu scramble with tacos for breakfast is one of my favorite ways to start my morning.
It takes just minutes to whip up and there is no pressing necessary. Simply drain the excess liquid from the packaging and toss it directly to a pan.
I prefer to cook my tofu scramble over very high heat in a non-stick pan. I cook it over high heat because I like a chewier bite. This is how I used to prefer my eggs when I used to eat them. I
f you’re worried about the tofu scramble burning – don’t. Because tofu retains so much water, even when pressed, it’s almost impossible for it to burn when cooked over high heat for a few minutes.
Where To Find Tofu
Tofu is an affordable, fast-cooking option that provides an incredible amount of plant-based protein. Tofu is becoming more popular, as it’s been sold across big-box grocery stores, including Walmart and Target.
However, it may be difficult to find, depending on where you’re located. My tip is to visit a local Asian grocery store if you’re fortunate to have one nearby. Asian grocery stores typically carry a plethora of plant-based protein including soy, seitan, and mock meats.
What Does Tofu Taste Like?
Tofu has a very mild flavor, with I find, a clay-like subtle scent. However, when pressed and cooked – they are almost tasteless. It’s important to use spices because otherwise, you’re left with a very bland tofu dish.
As for texture, I highly recommend using firm, extra-firm, or super-firm tofu to mimic the texture of well-done scrambled eggs. However, if you like a softer, tender bite – silken tofu can work too.
More Recipes With Tofu Scramble
For more breakfast recipes, check out 18 Frugal Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. We have sweet, savory, and everything in between!
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and green bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Next, add the chopped tomato and garlic. Cook until fragrant — about 1 minute. With your hands, tear the tofu block into small pieces directly into the pan.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and turmeric. Mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the beans.
- Warm tacos in the non-stick pan for about 30 seconds on each side, or microwave for 30 seconds.
- Arrange the tofu scramble mix onto the tacos.
- The turmeric in this recipe helps color the tofu block to a yellowish shade. No need to add a bunch of it – it really stains. A pinch or ¼ of a teaspoon will do.
- I used Roma tomatoes because I really love their color and flavor, but you can use your favorite kind of tomato.
- I used canned black beans for this recipe. Just be sure to drain the liquid and give it a quick rinse.
- If you want to make the beans from scratch, you’ll just need additional time. But it’s easy. Check out my black bean recipe.
Cookware Used In This Recipe
Did you try out this Tofu Scramble Breakfast Taco recipe?